Vice President of Housing & Financial Empowerment
|Title:||Vice President of Housing & Financial Empowerment||FLSA:||Exempt|
|Department:||Housing & Financial Empowerment Center|
The Chicago Urban League’s Housing & Financial Empowerment Center (HFEC) is a HUD-certified housing counseling agency. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Vice President of Housing and Financial Empowerment will oversee all housing programming, ensuring that programs are in compliance with HUD funding regulations, program goals and stakeholder expectations. The VP is the primary relationship manager for all HFEC program partners. This position will also work with our Research & Policy Center to develop program offerings that help reduce the racial wealth gap for Chicago’s Black residents through education and awareness.
The VP will provide direct supervision to HFEC staff managing the aforementioned programs through regular and appropriate feedback including training, opportunities for professional growth, verbal and written improvement plans when needed, and regular evaluations.
The HFEC VP serves as a strategic partner to CUL’s other program VPs, helping to identify and develop opportunities for collaboration in meeting the needs of clients. This position will be responsible for a variety of significant activities, including internal operations and oversight of program evaluations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees and directs operations in Housing and Financial Empowerment providing day-to-day leadership, guidance and strategies to direct reports for maximum program enhancement and growth.
- Provide oversight to all housing, programs and their components within CUL including ensuring successful implementation, evaluation and coordination of services.
- Ensure that housing programs are in compliance with HUD and other funding regulations, program goals and stakeholder expectations.
- Identify growth and expansion opportunities by staying aware of economic trends.
- Develop and implement strategies that connect communities with economic opportunities.
- Develop metrics that accurately measure outcomes that represent the effectiveness of strategies.
- Conduct performance evaluations of direct reports implementing the appropriate professional development tools and training to maximize operational effectiveness and to ensure the achievement of employee goals and performance benchmarks.
- Create an environment whereby CUL is known as a best-in-class organization.
- Communicate and direct the preparation of all data collection summary reports and evaluation updates for Housing.
- Partners with the Accounting Team in the preparation and development of annual department budgets.
- Partners with Development Team on identifying funding sources and pursuing grant opportunities; serves as a member of CUL’s Grants team.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has the following direct reports:
- Director, Housing & Financial Empowerment
- Intake Specialist
- Housing Counselors
Extensive interaction with all levels of personnel at CUL as well as outside partners, clients and vendors, on a daily basis.
Knowledge and Skills
- A bachelor’s degree or a minimum of 10 years experience in the affordable housing space
- 3 to 5 years of non-profit management experience.
- Knowledge of contracting, negotiating, and change management.
- Experience working with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Basic knowledge of real estate development
- Supervisory experience with strong skills in program development and policy and procedures.
- Effective and persuasive oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational, detail oriented and time management skills.
- Proven ability to work independently, effectively as an individual and part of a team.
- Strong ability to represent the interest of CUL; interact effectively and be comfortable building successful collaborative relationships with staff, public groups, corporate sponsors and community leaders.
- Strong hands-on management skills with a commitment to developing team members.
Chief Operating Officer