Under the Director of Workforce Development’s direction, the Employment Specialist will assist clients in achieving employment goals by providing individual employment counseling. He/she works closely with the Workforce Development staff and reports to the Workforce Development Director or his/her designee.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop employer relationships and secure job opportunities for program participants.
- Provide professional advice and help participants decide employment and training options.
- Document all engagement activities with program participants and communications on behalf of the participant, and file in the client management system.
- Provide additional career support a weekly listing of job leads, industry information and resources, and direct referrals to employers.
- Maintain a categorized electronic resume bank.
- Provide one-on-ones at least once a month to program participants after graduation and up to the first 90-days of job placement.
- Provide documentation of all “employment verifications” and retention on 30, 90, and 180-days employment.
- Provide local labor market information – what companies and industries are in the area, what skills and experience local area employers prefer and require, what is the usual means of entry into those companies/industries, advise on how best to apply.
Perform other duties as assigned.
This position requires the individual to work closely with the Workforce Development staff and while taking direction from the Department Director. He/she must possess great attention to detail and have strong organizational skills. This individual must understand, maintain, and uphold the mission and vision of the Chicago Urban League.
Knowledge and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree with 5-7 years’ experience in workforce development, sales, marketing or similar field
- Experience with coaching people
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish/maintain community relations
- Proficient in Microsoft products and client management systems
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- The ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to work independently and collaboratively within a team environment
- Provide own transportation and adequate insurance
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license and clear driving record.
Director, Workforce Development