Civic Engagement Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Youth Services Center
SUPERVISOR: Senior Manager of Programs, Youth & Family Services
This position is primarily responsible for providing support to the Senior Manager of Programs with the ongoing development of Youth Services Center civic engagement initiatives. The individual in this role will engage our existing community partners and engage new ones. The Civic Engagement Portfolio includes: EmpowerYouth ACTION (school-based leadership councils between the school and community police); iRegister (assist 17-year-old youth with getting registered to vote); and FOCUS on my FUTURE (career readiness professional presentations to youth).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Fully develops the civic engagement initiatives and ensures it aligns with the Center and that of the NUL pillar.
- Develops relationships with community-based (particularly our school partners and law enforcement agencies), faith-based, and social service organizations within the community to further collaborative initiatives.\
- Determines types and levels of services to be provided and standards by which delivery will be evaluated.
- Monitors the overall successes of the initiatives.
- Assists in addressing barriers that hinder success of the initiative.
- Performs other duties/special projects as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITES: NONE.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management – Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Change Management – Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization’s goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities.
- Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization’s strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction;
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Education, Psychology or a related field from an accredited college or university, preferably a Master’s Degree. At least five to seven years of significant and responsible program management in public social services or similar human services entity; or a combination of training, education, and experience is required.
TO APPLY, SUBMIT COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO CAREERS@CHIUL.ORG